CoffeeCup Image Mapper map file

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Rule Britannia

Anne P
September 16, 2001 08:49AM
<a href="[www.pemberley.com] src="/emote/ramt.gif" align=left hspace=8 vspace=4 border=0></a>] This event which is usually a noisy celebration of the ending of the BBC Proms season and an excuse for patriotic partying was a sober affair this year
Yes, it was brilliantly handled wasn't it?
I'd just like to share an experience I had:
1995 was the 50th anniversary of the end of the 2nd world war. By chance it was our local Round Table's turn to host a meeting of Tablers and partners from all over Europe. That happened in the middle of all the events celebrating 50 years of peace and looking back reflectively to the end of the war.
We had a big dinner/dance for 300 people, at which each Round Table had to do an entertainment. Since we were hosting, ours was last and I was asked to sing 'Rule Britannia'. I was very worried about this because the song is very jingoistic, and I didn't want it to be misinterpreted, although of course the last night of the proms is broadcast and enjoyed all over the world. But I was assured that it would be fine.
And you know what? I went out there clad in long white frock, papier mache helmet and Round Table shield and sang my heart out. We had all 300 people joining in the choruses on their feet - and it was the most amazing occasion. People from all the other countries still talk about it and certainly no one took offence.
And in that audience we had the children of British, German, French, Dutch, Finn, Norwegian, Danish etc etc parents who, 50 years previously, had been sworn enemies.
Gives you a sense of perspective, doesn't it?
What a ramble....
» Reply » Quote
Subject Author Posted

The Last Night of the Proms

Kate2 September 16, 2001 07:01AM

But......

JulieW September 17, 2001 12:47AM

» Rule Britannia

Anne P September 16, 2001 08:49AM

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.