This year, we asked the Pemberley meeting attendees to write messages for the Milestones Board as Jane Austen characters.
Below is a list of some of the messages. See if you can guess which character is writing.
- Today I was introduced to a gentleman of the Navy. Dashing, handsome fellow. I was not sure he would recognize my prior claim, but he proved quite cordial. I have reason to believe he is to be my brother-in-law and I believe he will make a fine addition to our family.
- Today I got an excellent book of poetry. Reading it makes me feel even more melancholy about my loss than usual.
- Today I had the first complete conversation that I've ever had with a female. I'm afraid to say I must've botched it though. The lady seemed quite distracted and peeved at the end of our walk.
- My husband and I will leave on our honeymoon, but I worry that £50,000 will not suffice. Yet one cannot have a honeymoon in a country place like Coombe Magna. Wish me well...
- I've just had my 28th birthday and, as a wonderful birthday present, a dear friend has assisted me in regaining some small financial comfort. I'm never less than cheerful, but I'm so grateful for these small comforts.
- Today I received a letter from my dear Jane. It was such a lovely letter, so well written and long. I am sure that a letter that is long cannot be ill. I, myself, cannot write a letter that is short. However, I am sure that my letters are not so long, nor so interesting, nor so well written as a letter written by anyone else. And certainly my letters are never clever. It was so kind of her to write such a long, interesting letter. I cannot remember now what it was about but I am sure that it must have been interesting. And it was so kind of her to write, although I don't recall at all what the letter said. Oh dear me. It was so very kind in any event. Well, perhaps it is best that I just be quiet.
- Today I had the honor of sharing a ride on the barouche box of a lovely gentleman who did not invite my sister to share it with him. So there! Neiner, neiner.
- I've just bought a damned fine horse and a bang-up carriage and damn my eyes if I didn't pay only half what she was worth.
- I am happy to report the felicitous marriage of my daughter. I am certain that I will shortly be able to present both her and her esteemed husband at St. James.
- Yesterday, my patroness sent her carriage to transport me and my esteemed bride to take tea for the 25th time since Michaelmas.
- Today my dear husband managed to stay awake during the entire after dinner portion of the evening. Oddly enough, it was still a damn tedious waste of an evening.
- Yesterday two young ladies dressed me up in women's clothes. I must confess it was rather exciting...
- My dear, it was the most providential thing in the world. Today I convinced my dear friend against the purchase of the most expensive muslin in Bath. Instead, I showed her a lovely sprigged bolt at only eight shillings a yard. And do you know, she thanked me prodigiously. Such a friend! Such a gown!
- Following three memorable dinners in the same week, I recently had occasion to relinquish my parish.
- Today I finally learned four speeches. Only eight and thirty to go.
- My marriage proposal has been refused. I'll have to ask her sister.
- Today I read the Romance of the Forest for the third time.
- My finest moment! I rescued a young lady from a scoundrel using a tea tray.
- Met some cousins today. They were really of no consequence.
- I pray for all of you to congratulate me. Today I packed my bags without reference to Lady Catherine's instructions. Progress indeed.
Have you guessed the characters? Check HERE